The Millfields

Plymouth

Built in 1758-65, the Royal Naval Hospital in Plymouth was influential in it's pavilion based design before being closed in 1995.

Key Part of

Plymouth's Heritage

Bailey Partnership led the regeneration of the 26 acre former Royal Naval Hospital, including significant number of Grade II* and Grade II Listed Buildings within a historic setting, for mixed use including commercial office units and luxury flats. The whole estate is encompassed under the conservation listing which includes the buildings and their settings, so a close liaison has been maintained with English Heritage and the local conservation officer, with the common aim of creating exciting, functional spaces that will ensure the conservation and continued use of these buildings.


Key Part of
26

acres

of Historic Land

40,000

sq ft

of office space

58

no.

Luxury Apartments


Maintaining

Maintaining

Integrity

Works were initially completed to three buildings before the scheme received loan funding through the Government’s Get Britain Building initiative to enable further works to progress. This included the restoration of Trafalgar- the former hospital chapel and focal point of the estate- with its pedimented elevations, venetian windows and striking cupola.